You will find that the National Lottery is the supplier of the most played lotteries in the UK, there are several other lotteries which are licensed and recognised in the UK and they include ones such as the Postcode Lottery and the Health Lottery, and those are held on different days of the week or month.
However, the National Lottery is the one most players choose to play and there are in fact several different draws you can enter which are run by the National Lottery. All profits made are donated to a range of different charities and there have been billions of pounds raised over the years.
Here are the different National Lottery draws that are offered and alongside each of them you will find the days that these lotteries are held and how you can play in each of them.
Lotteries in the UK
Lotto – The lotto draws are held every Wednesday and very Saturday and when you take part in these lotteries you will have to pay £2 per ticket you purchase, that will then see you being able to pick six numbers from one to forty nine in number and when you match at least three of the numbers you have chosen with the six drawn out of the machine you will win a cash prize.
Thunderball – The Thunderball lottery draws are held three days a week those being on a Wednesday a Friday and also on a Saturday. The ticket price is £1 on this draw and there are thirty nine numbers in the first machine and 14 numbers in the second you have to pick five main numbers and a Thunderball number when you enter this draw.
Lotto Hot Picks – This draw is held on both a Wednesday and also on a Saturday and you have to pick just five numbers from one to forty nine on each ticket you purchase. If you manage to match at least three numbers with those that have been drawn out of the lottery machine then you will win £450, however the more numbers that you do manage to match the larger that jackpot payout can and will become.
To buy lottery tickets in the UK you have to be at least the age of 16.
While originally the UK lottery possibilities were only available to play via land-based outlets, where you would go and buy one or more tickets, the fact is that today it can also be played online. And that doesn’t relate solely to the National Lottery of the UK, either. As it happens, independent companies can apply for a licence to be able to offer lotteries up to the country’s gambling market. These may not have as wide a scope as the National Lottery, but they still have a fair following in their own right.
The United Kingdom Laws Regarding Lotteries
Laws within the United Kingdom state that lotteries are fully legal to operate, as long as the company responsible for such holds a valid licence from the UK Gambling Commission. Licences are handed out by the regulatory body to both online and offline providers of such, meaning that it’s possible for players to access smaller lotteries than the national one.
Online operators don’t only require a standard gambling licence, but a secondary remote gambling licence. It is this which allows the websites to sell lottery tickets to the UK market. Then, UK gamblers are free to purchase tickets from those sites to participate.
These rules pretty much maintain the liberal status of lottery gambling in the United Kingdom. It is because of such that various sites have popped up providing legal and licensed lottery options to players.
How to Locate a Good UK Lottery Site
You won’t need to look far for a great online lottery site directed at UK players. That’s because the main National Lottery provides a variety of different lottery games, all of which can be found at the official website for such. Being backed by the government and holding the necessary licences, this platform does operate as the country’s most popular offering and stands at the top of the recommended lottery sites.
However, there are numerous online casinos that are not on Gamstop, sportsbooks and other gambling sites that incorporate lotteries into their betting sections. We have a selection of these that we recommend to players, too. How do we recommend such platforms? Well, there is a certain set of criteria that they must meet to satisfy being known as one of the best.
Of course, we would only recommend sites that possess a licence from the UK Gambling Commission. After all, this is one of the greatest regulatory bodies around the world, so a licence from it ensures that strict rules are being adhered to as well. At least with this, you can guarantee that the site won’t hold your money captive and you’ll receive proper pay-outs if you hold a winning ticket.
It’s also the case that we will seek out the sites with the easiest way of playing lotteries in operation. These games of chance aren’t difficult to play in general, so any site that is making things harder than necessary isn’t really worth your time joining or our time recommending. Lotteries are simple, so the sites offering such should be, too.
In saying that, it should also be easy to contact a customer support team if need be. Lotteries are easy to play, but you never know when you may need to speak to a customer service agent. That’s why the lottery sites that we recommend to you will always have an adequate and knowledgeable customer support team, as well as various ways of contacting them in action. Once we have found a lottery site with all of these functions and features involved, then there’s a likelihood that they’ll make up part of our recommended best UK lotteries.
Why It’s Important to Not Just Play at Any Lottery Site
For some people, just using a search engine to come up with results of online lottery sites is enough. And while this is a great way to locate a variety of options, you can’t always guarantee that they’ll be trustworthy sites. Plus, you’d need to search through them all to find one that caters to your preferences. This is where we come in to play; because we have some recommendations that have been fully reviewed. Here’s why it’s important to not just access any random lottery platform:
- Some sites won’t hold relevant licences, making them much more likely to be scam sites
- Our team has reviewed all of our recommended lottery platforms to ensure that they truly are the best in the UK
- We believe that your safety and security is something that should be focused on, and that’s why the sites that we recommend utilise high-quality encryption technology and operate fair lottery games
Frequently Asked Questions
You should not have too many questions regarding entering a UK lottery draw for they are quite self explanatory however below are a few of the most commonly asked questions which may be of interest to you and the answers to those questions will be found below too!
- Which casino site has lottery based games on offer?If you are looking for a range of lottery based and themed casino games and a site which is fully licensed and regulated in the UK then we can recommend the Titan Bet Casino, this is a casino that uses the Playtech gaming platform and you will have access to lots of different games when play there.To learn more about this first class casino site please take a look at our review of Titan Bet Casino as we have a high valued welcome bonus to introduce to you which will allow you to boost the value of your initial deposit.
- Are lottery winnings taxable?One of the main benefits that all UK based gamblers have is that they are never going to be charged any type of tax on nay winnings they achieve when gambling. This is also very true for all lottery based winnings, and as such if you do win any amount when playing a lottery in the UK then the entire amount of cash you won, no matter how large is yours to keep tax free!In fact the UL laws and regulations surrounding lotteries is that all winning players have to be paid their winning sin one single payment, and as such you will not be drip fed your winning over weeks, months or even years which is often the case with lotteries held in different countries!
- Where can I buy UK lottery tickets?You are going to be able to buy lottery tickets either online at the official National Lottery website or you can buy then in cash from any designated retail outlet. Please do not buy lottery tickets from any other source as there have been the odd website set up to trick player into buying tickets at those sites and the sites are fake sites and no lottery tickets will ever come your way if you do make a purchase from those fraudulent websites!
If you wish to learn more about playing at UK licensed venues then we have a wide range of different resources that will enable you to get a much better understanding of those topics. Keep on reading for details of our additional articles and news stories that you will find helpful.
Land based UK Casinos – If you are thinking of visiting in person a land based UK casino site then we have a very informative guide and resource that will explain how you can become a member of such a venue and what is on offer at all land based casinos in the UK.
UK Bingo Clubs – You will find there are lots of bingo clubs in the UK at which you can play bingo in a social setting morning, noon and night! If you have an interest in doing so then take a look over this land based bingo guide for more details.
Racecourses in the UK – Betting on the horses is something a lot of people do in the UK however many of those people will occasionally visit a racecourse in the UK and if you are thinking of doing so then this informative guide will be of interest to you.
UK Gambling Laws and Regulation – If you wish to learn how all UK based and licensed gaming venues and sites are regulated then take a look over our guide to the UK Gambling Commission for it is that government agency that is tasked with doing so.